I picked up this really brilliant idea from a friend's blog, and I decided to try it out myself. It's quite useful and it costs next to nothing.
- A clean jar (or any container that can hold liquid) with a cover
- White vinegar
- Orange peel
.You will simply have to:
- Pour an amount of vinegar into the jar.
- Immerse the bits of orange peel.
- Cover and let stand for a week or two, then fish out the orange peel from the liquid.
Vinegar is a natural disinfectant, and the orange peel will neutralize it's rancid odor.
How to use:
- Transfer the liquid into a spray bottle - or any bottle you think will make it easier for you to pour out.
- Spray directly on surfaces (careful though - don't use it on colored material or anything that reacts to acid).
- Wipe with a clean, dry rag.
- If you need a less potent solution, dilute with drinking water.
Clever, huh? I really appreciate this because I'm quite iffy about those commercial kitchen cleansers and disinfectants laden with all sorts of chemicals; I feel as if those things are not exactly safe for surfaces where I prepare food, like kitchen counters and table tops. I mean, those products are poisonous, and what if the vegetables I'm chopping accidentally come in contact with the residue on a chemically-treated marble counter top? Well, vinegar and orange peel are completely non-toxic.
An all-natural homemade cleanser is also safe for cleaning things that pets or children use (like toys that they tend to put in their mouths). No need to worry about poisonous residue. ^_^