Maybe next week I'll do 80's movies. ;)
I loved the 90's - that was my teenager decade. I loved watching movies back then so much that it was practically a must to watch at least one flick every single week. Of course cinema rates back then were much more pocket-friendly.
And here's my 13:
- Forrest Gump (1994). I thought it was both touching and brilliant in a not-too-deep sort of way.
- How To Make An American Quilt (1995). I loved the visual and verbal poetry.
- Before Sunrise (1995). Has a rare quality to it.
- Schindler's List (1993). I think Schidler's List is on everybody's.
- Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992).
- The Shawshank Redemption (1994). I cut class to when i watched this. Wasn't disappointed.
- A Few Good Men (1992). Linear but powerful.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993). Love the premise, the conflict and the Burtonesque eye-candy.
- James and the Giant Peach (1996). Tim Burton + Roald Dahl = Happy kid movie.
- Reality Bites (1994). This wasn't a great movie, but it encapsulates Generation X. Has a memorable hit song too.
- Romeo + Juliet (1996). It got me hooked the first scene the moment I realized they used the original Shakespeare text set in 90's USA. Stunning visuals besides.
- Saving Private Ryan (1998). I'm a sucker for WW2 flicks.
- Good Will Hunting (1997). Watched it at least twice. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's Oscar acceptance speech was just as remarkable.
I realize that there are a ton of 90's movies that I like. Here are otheres that don't quite make it to my top 13 but are otherwise memorable: The Matrix (199), The Devil's Advocate (97), American Beauty (99), Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace (99), 54 (98), Edward Scissorhands (90), Clueless (95), Gattaca (97), Titanic (97), Se7en(95) , Braveheart (95), Beauty and the Beast (91), Jurassic Park (93), Pulp Fiction (94), The Fugitive (93), The Lion King (94), Speed (94), Independence Day (96), There's Somethig About Mary (98) , Boogie Nights (97), Pretty Woman (90), With Honors (94), Sleepers, LA Confidetial, Fight Club, Scent of A Woman (92), Alladin(92), The Man In The Iron Mask (97), Ever After (98), Titanic (97), My Best Friend's Wedding(96).