Wednesday, April 28, 2010

a blue manila bay

I found this old photo in an e-mail and was pretty impressed by it. It's a capture of Roxas Boulevard taken some time in the 60's (it was then known as Dewey). It's quite refreshing to see evidence that those waters I've known to be black, murky and reeking used to be crystalline-blue.


I've heard old timers' stories of how the water there was so clean, it was safe to go swimming. I never imagined it to be a beach in the city.

No traffic, no vendors, no pollutants. No baywalk, no beerhouses, no obstentatious street lights.

I'd really rather not dwell too much on the fact how the environment was practically murdered in the past fifty years, but Id prefer to just admire that breathtaking view. May ganyan pala sa Manila noon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Will you allow me to get a copy of that photo? I am interested in it. My group and I are featuring Manila Bay for our group Feature Magazine and we need a picture such as the one above. It would be a great help, if you will allow me to do so. Please and thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Madworld! :)
    I have no problem with you using the photo, but unfortunately it isn't mine. It was just e-mailed by a friend.
    I'm so sorry I hadn't been able to reply sooner (I've been in and out of the hospital the past few weeks). I hope you and your group find what you need. :D Cheers and be well!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it nice. :) Thanks.