Monday, May 24, 2010

eight glasses of water a day

photo from here


drinking eight glasses of water a day:
  • provides sufficient hydration
  • aids circulation
  • promotes healthier skin
  • burns calories faster
  • lowers the risk of heart attack
  • aids weight loss
  • regulates digestion and elimination
  • lowers the risk of urinary tract infection
  • flushes out toxins
  • reduces headaches
  • regulates body temperature

I'm pretty sure you've heard about it somewhere too. :)

(There have been some "researchers" though that say there really hasn't been any significant, measurable evidence that prove the benefits of eight glasses a day - still, I'm a believer in sufficient hydration. Besides, it wouldn't hurt anyone to drink water)

Recently I received an-email forwarded from a family friend, where she shared that drinking eight glasses of water a day helped to clear her cancer (She's cancer-free now). Of course she had other treatments, but proper hydration was a big factor.

Ive decided to take this eight glasses a day thing seriously since a few years ago when I was found to have a kidney infection. I've had a severe blood infection that affected the functioning of my other organs due in part to improper hydration. So far, I haven't had that again.

For the past year or two, I've been able to successfully increase my water intake and reduce sodas and caffeine (I've had to do it partially because I needed to get more sleep, and also because the meds I take for my BMD tend to overwork the kidneys). I've developed more liking for water, and have decreased my appetite for corn-syrupy or carbonated drinks. And it feels great.

I'd rather not drive myself crazy by keeping a precise count of how many glasses, but I just have an idea of the approximate amount . It helps to have big glass nearby when I read, work or watch the telly. It's also a good idea to have a handy-dandy drinking bottle when traveling.

A nice idea:
I got this idea from a book I read, about how this lady kept count of her water intake by leaving a stack of eight coins on her desk every day. Each time she drank a glass, she'd move a coin over to the other side of her desk.

Drinking lots of water is very helpful and healthful these days especially when we're in the middle of a tremendous heatwave. There have lately been a couple of deaths due to dehydration and heat stroke, and I just want to make sure we aren't part of that statistic.

Another nice idea:
Don't wait until you're thirsty. Just drink up.

And uh, yeah, it would be very wise to have clean, accessible restrooms at all times. All that water intake would be useless if you didn't flush it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it nice. :) Thanks.