Saturday, May 29, 2010

homemade body scrub

(Easy recipes included ^_^ )


I enjoy trying out trusted recipes for homemade beauty products - the kind that I can put together in my own kitchen. Aside from getting to do something fun and new, I get a free, all-natural product for pampering myself. I like these homemade things because they're a lot less expensive than store-bought products; more importantly they have no chemicals or additives, and are safe on ultrasensitive skin like mine.

In the past few years, I've tried making different kinds of all-natural body scrub, facial mask, toner, lip balm and hair conditioner - all of which produced satisfying results.

Today I made some more olive oil body scrub. It's one of the easiest things to make. It moisturizes and exfoliates skin safely.

I get no allergic reactions from it. I particularly like using it on my legs and feet - it helps to smooth out those dry portions on my toes and heels. It's also safe to use on lips; it sloughs off dead skin cells and brings out a rosy glow.


Olive Oil Body Scrub


INGREDIENTS
  • 1/4 cup of olive oil
  • 4 tbsp. salt (or sugar)
Combine olive oil and salt.
Store in an airtight container.

TO USE: After your bath, massage this onto your skin then rinse off. Use at least once a week. Go easy on the scrubbing; the salt or (sugar) could be pretty abrasive if you rub too hard. ;)

With this, you don't need to put on lotion after your bath (which works for me, since I'm allergic to a lot of lotions anyway), and you don't have to worry about poisonous stuff accumulating under your fingernails.

Another nice, easy-to-make-at-home scrub:


Oatmeal Body Scrub

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tbsp. rolled oats
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 3 tbsp. sugar (or salt)
  • Olive oil, coconut oil or any massage oil of your choice
Run the oats through a blender to mince them.
Combine oatmeal, sugar (or salt) and honey.
Pour in oil until it just covers the mixture.
Stir together.
Store in an airtight container.

SUGGESTION
Add a drop of essential oil to give yourself some aromatherapy. Try rose, lavender or vanilla if you want something relaxing. Use citrusy scents if you want it energizing.

This exfoliates and moisturizes, and nourishes skin. It smells yummy too.

Going back to our grandmothers' beauty recipes might be a good idea, now that we've become conscious of chemicals in commercial products - as well as the eventual harm those chemicals can do to our bodies and the environment. All-natural ingredients are SLS-free and they don't come in plastic packaging. They're non-irritating, skin-friendly and environment-friendly. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep it nice. :) Thanks.