Thursday, July 22, 2010

girls talk: i love the spiritual and mental side of me



I didn't have time to participate in Girls Talk last week, so I'll be inserting the I Love Me Mentally below too. I'll try to make this quick as I have to head out pretty soon


I Love The Spiritual Aspect of Me


I am a follower of Christ, and I'm proud of it. I am not the religious type - I'm a bit of an asker, a rebel of sorts, admittedly not a very nice person.

But I love God immensely - though imperfectly.
I love church - though I must confess I don't go every Sunday.
I love the Bible - but I admit I don't read it daily.

Following Christ is really not about tradition or "the things we've gotten used to". I personally prefer a more practical, relevant and honest faith. A meaningful religion is about knowing the Lord and growing in him. It's about loving God above all things and loving your neighbor as yourself. I'm not the poster girl for this (i.e., I've got a lot of flaws and stuff), but in some way God is still able to use me to bless others.

I love that I am imperfect, because it makes me see how much I need God. Don't get me wrong though - I don't settle in my weaknesses; if i had my way, I'd slake all my imperfections off. It's just that I celebrate God's grace daily, not having to pretend to be someone I am not.

There's more of my brand of spirituality in my other blog, the (ir)reverend.


I Love The Mental Aspect of Me

When it comes to the mental part, I am what I call an aberration - and I am proud of it. I happen to be bipolar: I was born with a chemical imbalance that causes cyclical shifts in emotion and energy levels. People think it's a psychological disorder, but it's actually a biological one - kind of like a disability that has no cure.

Wait- it's not as tragic as it sounds. :D I quite think it's a blessing. I look normal and act normal; bipolars aren't "crazy". In fact we tend to be very talented and brilliant. A lot of artists, musicians, poets, politicians, theorists and history-makers are bipolar. This will seem like bragging, but I'm just stating a fact: because of this condition, I happen to be very intense and genius-prone.

Most people either left-brain dominant (logical, analytical) or right-brain dominant (artistic, emotional). I happen to be both, being able to switch as needed. I also have this capacity for abstract thinking - something that is rare among women.

The downside is that all this giftedness comes with mood swings, nasty thought patterns and a general challenge in managing life. :p

I discuss more about being bipolar in my other blog, Soul Marmalade.


And that's it for now. To check out what the other Girls Talkers have to share, shimmy over to Beauty Queen Gene.

.

7 comments:

  1. another post that enlightens me today. now i am sure that i am not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mar! the thoughts that you have shared in all your blogs have been thought provoking and always brings me back to God.. im glad to have stayed in touch with you through these blogs!

    be blessed today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so this is how we define believers now... the Church has to look into this status now and reasses they might wake up one day, people just go to church for the sake of compliance ... LOL... Mine is up too at Woman’s elan vital

    I’m having a Link Exchange Project, I’m inviting you to join, please visit Petty Things in Life and click the badge to join. Thank You and hope to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you said, "I am imperfect, because it makes me see how much I need God." Very well said.

    My GT post this week is up HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate you as a bipolar person. My sister was born bipolar. In fact, she succeeded much in career!

    Nobody's perfect in these world nga naman!lahat namn tayo may mga flaws. Well, thanks for your honest post:)

    Happy GT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweety thank you so much for your super long comment on my entry <3 I know exactly what you wanted to say and agree with everything!

    The words "Christian" or "evnagelical" are indeed empty words and I like the way you call yourself a follower of Christ <3 That is what I am toom in the most imperfect way possible.

    Faith is something that comes from within a person and you don't really need any religious habits, in order to love God <3 I'm glad that you were able to understand what I was trying to say :)

    Oh and about being bipolar, I have to say that I absolitely adore people like you :) Some of my closest friends and the same way as you and every day spent with them is a moment I treasure cause you never know what they gonna do next and they are simply amazing. And so are you <3 HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm glad to see we have a lot of girl talkers like you who feel the same way about spirituality. indeed, we may be all sinners, but at least we have the guts to admit it, and have the goodness in our hearts to try and be better :)

    and THANK YOU for posting last week's topic too! you're such a dear! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it nice. :) Thanks.