Thursday, October 14, 2010

girls talk: humorous reads

I like this month's Girls Talk topic because I love books. This week we're doing funnies.

Do comics count? At the top of my list would be The Book of Bunny Suicides by Andy Riley, and Gary Larson's The Far Side Gallery. They're very easy reading.


But yeah, I have some favorite funny books too.

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
is a compilation of five novels by Douglas Adams. It maps out the outrageous story of Arthur Dent's survival through space after his home planet, Earth was demolished to make way for the construction of a hyperspace bypass. Brilliantly funny; mocks science fiction a bit with dry Brit humor, while it attempts to explore the answer to life, the universe and everything. The answer, it says, is 42.


Arthur Dent's adventures were made into a BBC television series sometime in the '8os I believe. The first of the five books, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, was made into a movie a few years ago.

Another set of humor books I absolutely enjoy are The Sacred Diaries of Adrian Plass.


British author Adrian Plass has a humorous take on Evangelical Christianity, through his eyes as a church member and later as a preacher.

It's nice to have books that poke fun at life, the universe and everything (I'm quite inclined toward witty, brilliant and/ or dark humor though; I don't like slapstick or green jokes). It's good to laugh, and I particularly enjoy laughing out loudly.

Other ladies share what's in their library. Click the badge to read about their choices:

8 comments:

  1. Oohh.. I've watched the movie. And I enjoyed watching it. Di ko nga alam na galing pala sa libro yun. hehe.. Pardon me. Still, I haven't read the book. I'd bet it is much more hilarious. =D

    I haven't read the comics and the humor books by Adrian Pass. Thanks for sharing them, though.. =D

    Have a great Thursday!!

    Here's mine..

    http://neneleah30.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-funniest-reads-girls-talk.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess!! kasama ang comics!! comics ang entry ko eh!! nyahhaha!!!

    And I've never read the other books Sis!! but seems interesting and funny!! so, i will add them all on my list!!

    >> Happy GT ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. None of these books I know of. :( I am such an ignoramus when it comes to books.

    My GT post is up HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sis, yung movie lang napanood ko, I have to google the rest.. para mabasa ko rin...

    thanks for the drop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i never thought the movie - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was based on a book.. that's interesting to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will try seeking in google too. I think my husband mentioned about that second book too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are all interesting picks, would definitely check it out.

    Here's my entry at GT, hope you'd visit too:
    http://ddarlys26.blogspot.com/2010/10/gt-laugh-out-loud-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. where have i spent the last few years of my life?? i've been meaning to read adams and plass ever since i saw their books being reviewed at amazon, but i guess it slipped my mind. thank you for reminding me! i really should keep a proper list of books to read. :D

    sorry for the late visit! (bad host. LOL) thanks for joining GT!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it nice. :) Thanks.