Thursday, October 21, 2010

girls talk: thrilling page-turners

I almost forgot about Girls Talk this week (again); good thing I remembered to check my dashboard.

Today we're doing suspense-thrillers. The first thing that comes my mind is Dan Brown.


I read them before the movies came out (I didn't like the movies much though) and I was enthralled. They had the right combination of mystery and the things I happen to be interested in - Christianity, history and art (I was so proud of myself when I was able to figure out the clues!). If I didn't have work to do at the time I picked those books up, I would have read them straight through without sleeping; those novels are so hard to put down.

Those two books are phenomenal - aside from the fact that they caused a worldwide stir because of the controversial claims, they're excellently written, brilliantly woven and amazingly narrated. There are a lot of holes in the research, but Dan Brown is definitely a gifted writer.

Another writer of thrilling page-turners is Chuck Palahniuk.


Palahniuk is another genius. Very cleverly written; layered and twisted His tone of choice though is very dark humor, delivered in perverse language through an unglamorous cast of characters - something that many people might not appreciate.

Fight Club spawned a movie and a cult following. Not many know that the irreverent flick starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton was taken from a novel. It's one of my favorite books, but it's not something I'd recommend to everyone.

3 comments:

  1. i love Dan Brown! he's one of my favourites.

    Haven't heard of Chuck Palahniuk. Didn't know that Fight Club was from a book. hmmm...

    happy GT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another DAN BROWN fan here! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Palahniuk seems like my type of writer ;)

    i promise i'll secure copies of those two books. i've watched fight club but didn't know it was from a book!

    you're right, although brown's research for his books is faulty, you cannot deny the man is a darn excellent writer!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it nice. :) Thanks.